The Swedish Women’s Mediation Network
The Swedish Women’s Mediation Network consists of 15 members, and was initiated by the Minister for Foreign Affairs in 2015 to actively support women’s full and effective participation in peacemaking processes before, during and after conflict.The network consists of 15 senior women with extensive expertise and experience relevant to conflict mediation, peacebuilding and negotiations. As members they serve as the Minister for Foreign Affairs’ Special Representatives for Inclusive and Sustainable Peace Processes. They work to strengthen the role of women mediators and peacemakers in conflict-affected areas, and to link efforts at different levels to formal processes. The network specifically works to:
- Strengthen the capacity of women leaders in conflict-affected and post-conflict countries within the area of dialogue, mediation and peacebuilding through trainings and advisory support.
- Support ongoing peace processes in order to improve the conditions for women’s participation, and to enhance the quality of peace agreements.
- Promote the inclusion of women in dialogue and peace processes, and make women’s competence in this area more visible, through advocacy and outreach.
- Strengthen the collaboration with similar initiatives in other countries and regions.
- Enhance the knowledge and understanding about the role of women in peace processes.
The Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA), the Swedish agency for peace, security and development, coordinates the network in close collaboration with the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs.